Thursday, May 5, 2011

In a previous life ...

I flew competition aerobatics with radio controlled model airplanes for about 25 years.

My wife and I were cleaning out the basement of the home we've lived in for over 29 years today in preparation for our move to Alabama in a couple weeks. All sorts of memories surfaced, including the picture below of me taken at the last contest I attended in August, 2000 in Omaha, NE.

The plane is an OMS - Orland McKee Special  - named for the gentleman from Kansas City who designed and built it. The fuselage is molded fiberglalss, while the wing and horizontal stabilizer are white styrofoam sheeted with balsa wood. It's a 2-meter model - wingspan and length are both a maximum of 2 meters (78.74"). Weight is about 10# and power comes from 1.6 cubic inch 2-stroke engine that puts out over 3 HP on alcohol and nitromethane fuel. Speed is virtually constant in any direction - horizontally, up or down.

I do miss flying and my friends, but not all the practice time required to be competitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment